Saturday, November 02, 2013

NoNoWriMo

I have decided not to participate in NaNoWriMo this year.  I really considered it.  Being a NaNoWriMo winner in 2009 was one of the best feelings in my life.  Buckling down on a novel (Who's Your Daddy?) and getting so much of it written was probably my greatest writing achievement ever.  It's something that I would like to repeat and NaNoWriMo is such a great opportunity for that every year.

I started NaNoWriMo in 2010 with a novel called Cold Blood.  But early in November I got depressed over some stupid boy who effed me around.  The smart thing to do would have been to channel some of that emotion into my story, but instead I got weepy and ditched the writing altogether.  Perhaps it would've helped if the story had anything to do with some stupid boy, but alas it didn't.

In 2011 I didn't participate in NaNoWriMo at all.  Perhaps I was too busy falling in love with the man who is now my husband.

Last year I began writing a novel called She Tells the Best Lies for NaNoWriMo.  I was doing very well, until the morning I woke the whole house up at 4 AM with my full-on ugly crying.  My now husband -- then fiance -- came out of the bedroom to find me sobbing on the couch in front of my very dead laptop.  I had been working on my novel when my laptop went black and would not turn back on.  And I had no backup.  All of my work on my novel was gone, all of the many hours of work on my photos for my portfolio, gone.  All of my wedding plans, family photos, address book, gone gone gone.

The next day we brought the laptop into the Geek Squad, who charged us a big toe just for them to look at it for about an hour and then tell us that it couldn't be fixed.  Turns out the Geek Squad aren't all that geeky.  My daughter's ex-boyfriend's mom swooped in and saved the day by offering us her husband's superior geekly powers.  He took the laptop and hooked it up to some magical machine which scanned it for like four days, no kidding!  It took quite some time, but he was able to save everything on the computer!  I am forever in their debt (I would offer them my firstborn daughter's hand in marriage to their firstborn son, but it seems that our offprings have moved each other into the "friend zone", booo).  By the time my computer was back up and running NaNoWriMo was over.

So I thought about doing NaNoWriMo again this year, but ultimately decided against it.  The year I won I put a lot of work (and lack of sleep) into it.  With all of the things that I have on my plate right now it would be straight up crazy to add yet another thing to my plate.  I think it would be a good idea to not add any more crazy to my life right now.  Hopefully next year; the NaNoWriMo, not the crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave this blog entry feeling sad and lonely. Give it some love! Leave a comment!